Salads, specially home-made with basic and simple ingredients are very useful in weight loss as they really help to feel full and makes one avoid fried and spicy food. I make salads with no spices and just use pink salt and black pepper. Everybody is different and has different requirements and different activity levels. But I try to eat a full and nice meal for lunch as my activity level is high during the day. I try and replace my dinner with salads whenever I can. It actually takes much less time and effort to prepare salad for dinner. I, for one feel more full also because of the fact that I am not able to gulp down the salad very quickly like I do some other foods like rajma-chawal etc. and have to take about 20-30 minutes to chew the salad nicely and properly. You can try and prepare this healthy salad for dinner sometimes and you will feel light and fresh and ultimately will start seeing changes in the weight.
Black chana (boiled): 1 cup (Boil in slow cooker to reduce time + effort)
Cherry tomatoes: 6
Arugula leaves (rocket leaves): a handful
Potato (boiled): 1
Ginger (grated): to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
Pink salt (or regular salt): to taste
Black pepper powder to taste
Olive oil: 4 tbsp.
- Peel and chop the boiled potato into bite-sized pieces.
- To a serving dish, start adding the salad ingredients one by one: boiled black chana, cherry tomatoes, arugula leaves, boiled potato, grated ginger. Toss well.
- Add the feta cheese on the top. Grate some cheese for garnish if you wish.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and add salt and pepper. Toss again if you wish.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil. Add salt and black pepper to it and mix. Pour over the salad.
- Salad is ready to enjoy!
- Tip: you can keep the boiled potato and boiled chana warm if you don't want to eat cold salad.