A simple banana walnut cake!
Whole wheat flour: 1 cup
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Vegetable oil: 1/4 cup
Ripe bananas: 2 large
Eggs: 2 large
Vanilla essence: 1 tsp.
Baking soda: 1 tsp.
Cocoa powder: 2 tbsp.
Beaten yogurt: 1/2 cup
Walnuts (chopped): according to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 C for about 20 minutes while you prepare the mix.
- Begin by sieving the whole wheat flour in a big mixing bowl. Sieve in cocoa powder and the baking soda.
- Mix everything slowly but really well so that there are no lumps remaining. Keep aside.
- In another big mixing bowl, add the sugar. Break the egg in the bowl and beat it well. Do not over mix. I used a hand whisk.
- Now add the well mashed bananas and again mix well.
- Add the oil, yogurt and vanilla essence. Mix everything slowly with the help of whisk. You can also use the electric mixer.
- Slowly begin to add the flour mix to this mix. Add a little at a time and keep on mixing but remember not to over mix. Just mix it until you see no lumps. The mix should be little flowy and not dense.
- Fold in the walnuts in the mix. Save some of the walnuts for the base if desired.
- Grease the cake mold and sprinkle little walnuts on the base if desired.
- Pour in the mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200 C. Then do the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake, it should not have the batter stuck to it, it should come out clean with little crumbles. If not done, bake for a little more time until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Invert the pan and remove the cake from the mold in a tray or a plate.
- Let cool completely and cut in desired shapes. Enjoy!