Bhindi (ladyfinger) is a very simple and quick dish to prepare. This bhindi do pyaaza is made using just 3 ingredients: tempered with minimal spices and a fried in a lot of onions.
Ladyfinger (bhindi): 300 gm
Cooking oil: 2 tsp.
Onions (sliced): 2
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp.
Mango powder: 1/2 tsp. (optional)
- For making dry bhindi subzi, you need absolutely dried ladyfingers. So I recommend wash thoroughly and leave them to air-dry for about an hour. I spread them on a newspaper which soaks all the moisture. There should be absolutely no moisture when we begin to prepare this dish.
- When the bhindi is ready, remove the tops and tails of each ladyfinger and cut all the ladyfinger in small, fine rounds.
- Heat oil and crackle the cumin seeds. Add the onion and saute until it starts turning transparent.
- Add the chopped ladyfingers and sprinkle salt, red chilli and turmeric, mix very well and let cook for about 10 minutes. DO NOT COVER. Check if they are done by trying to break one bhindi, it should break softly and should not be hard.
- Add the mango powder, mix well and remove from flame. Serve as a side dish.