Winters are knocking on the door and we have already experienced our first snowfall. Temperatures are dropping down real quick and we crave for warm comfort foods (and drinks) in this weather.. This is the perfect time for warm soups. I had received a soup maker last winter as a gift and there is no better time to put it to good use now. This soup recipe is made in a soup maker but can also be simmered on a stove top. The ingredient which makes this soup special is the soup spice mix (soup masala) which I add to all my soups.
This is a warm and comforting soup and the mix of apples and carrots elevated the taste to another level. I have gotten the idea of mixing apple and carrots from this recipe: http://www.carveyourcraving.com/apple-carrot-soup-feel-better-soup/
Apple (chopped): 1
Carrots (chopped): 3
Garlic: 3 cloves
Basil leaves: a handful
Yellow onion (chopped): 1
Lemon juice: 1 tsp.
Salt to taste
Soup Spice Mix (Soup masala)
Black pepper (optional)
Cream for garnish (optional)
- Wash and chop the apples, carrots, onion and garlic and add to the soup maker.
- Add the washed basil leaves, lemon juice, salt and soup spice mix.
- Add the required amount of water and turn on the soup maker. My soup maker prepares the soup in just 6 minutes!
- If preparing on stove top, add the chopped apples, carrots, onion, garlic and basil leaves to a mixer. Add water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add this whole mix to a large pot and add water depending upon the required consistency of the soup.
- Add the salt, lemon juice and soup spice mix. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer on medium flame for 10-15 minutes or until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Turn off the flame and pour directly into a soup bowl. No need to sieve it.
- Sprinkle black pepper and garnish with cream if desired. Serve hot!
If you loved this recipe, please leave a comment/feedback and connect with me on Facebook for regular recipe updates.