Green Dal is a very healthy and delicious dal which is specially easy because no pressure cooking is involved in this recipe. It is made from a combination of various green which can be increased, decreased or even changed according to your own taste. The leafy greens used in this recipe are mint, coriander, parsley, fenugreek leaves and spinach leaves. What's even more special: it's a no onion-garlic recipe so can be consumed even in fast. Now what more could you ask for?
More Dal recipes:
Toor Dal (split pigeon peas): 2 cups
Cooking oil: 3 tsp.
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
Cinnamon stick: 1 inch
Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Dried red chili: 1
Green chilli (chopped): 1
Ginger (grated): i inch
Tomato (chopped): 2
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp.
Coriander leaves: a handful
Mint leaves: a handful
Parsley leaves: a few
Fenugreek leaves: a few
Spinach leaves: a handful
Garam masala: 1/2 tsp.
Kasoori methi: 1 tsp.
- Soak toor dal in lukewarm water for 2 hours.
- Drain the water, wash well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan (with lid) and crackle the cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the cinnamon, fenugreek seeds and dry red chili.
- After 30 seconds, add the ginger and green chilli and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Mix well and let cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add the soaked and washed dal to the pan and sprinkle red chilli powder. Mix everything well and add a cup of water.
- Cover and let cook on medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and add all the chopped green leaves and give a good stir. Now don't cover, let cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes on medium flame or until it reaches desired consistency.
- Sprinkle garam masala and kasoori methi and turn off the flame. Without stirring, cover the pan again.
- Remove cover after 10 minutes, mix well and sprinkle lemon juice (optional) and serve with chappatis or rice.
Loved this recipe? Please do leave a comment and/or feedback in the comments below; it really motivates me. Don't forget to join me on my Facebook Page for regular recipe updates.