I have always cooked zucchini in two ways: either in the form of subzi or koftas. This is a really innovative and amazing recipe for zucchini (or can be prepared with bottle gourd) and even those who hate this vegetable will love this recipe to the core.
I have got this wonderful idea of making zucchini as a tawa fry vegetable from a very talented fellow blogger Ruchi Airen and I was attracted to this recipe the first time I read the recipe. This is my style of preparing the veggie and the original recipe which inspired me to prepare this is:
Zucchini (or bottle gourd): 1 big size
Cooking oil: 6 tsp.
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
Asafoetida: a pinch
Onion (chopped): 1 big
Ginger-garlic (grated): 4 tsp.
Tomato (chopped): 1 big
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp.
Garam masala: 1/2 tsp.
Kasoori methi: 1/2 tsp.
- Peel and wash the zucchini and cut the zucchini into rounds.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the rounded zucchini pieces to the oil. I added them in batches as I could not spread all the rounds at once.
- Let the zucchini fry a bit and then turn them with the help of a spatula. When they are slightly browned from both sides, drain from the oil and keep aside. Repeat for all the zucchini rounds.
- Heat the same oil again on medium flame and crackle the cumin seeds. Add asafoetida and the chopped onions. Mix well and let cook until the onions are transparent.
- Add the ginger-garlic and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the chopped tomato and sprinkle salt. Cover and let cook for few minutes until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Remove cover and add red chilli and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add the fried zucchini rounds and mix lightly so they don't break.
- Turn off the flame. Sprinkle the garam masala and kasoori methi and cover.
- Remove cover after 10 minutes and mix everything well. Serve hot with chappati.