Chicken: 300 gm
Cooking oil: 3 tsp.
Sesame seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Coriander seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Bay leaf: 1
Onions (sliced): 2
Ginger-garlic paste: 3 tsp.
Tomato (chopped): 2
Salt to taste
Black pepper powder: 1 tsp.
Cashew nuts: a handful
Yogurt: 1/2 cup
Garam masala: 1 tsp.
Kasoori methi: 1/2 tsp.
- Save a few cashew nuts for the garnish and soak the rest of the cashews in warm water.
- Lightly toast the cashews for garnish and keep aside.
- Heat oil on medium flame and add the whole spices: sesame seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and bay leaf.
- Add the onions after 30 seconds. Mix well and fry until the onions turn transparent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry well until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Let cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy. By the time drain the water from the soaked cashews and grind them in a coarse paste and keep aside.
- Add the black pepper powder to the masala and the cashew paste. Mix well and let cook for another minute.
- Add the yogurt and mix well. Add the chicken pieces and a little water (you can add more water if serving this with rice). Cover the pan and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir well. Let cook opened for a few minutes and add the garam masala and kasoori methi. Mix well and cover again. Turn off the flame.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes and remove cover. Garnish with the toasted cashews and serve.