When I had tried making so many varieties of chicken, almost every weekend, I love to try more new recipes. I asked hubby dearest what would be for lunch and he said "chicken".. I asked him what to make so he replied "kuch bhi".. Nothing came to my mind but when this question was repeated thrice till the lunch times and I got the same reply.. I finally declared.. Okay now I'm going to make "Kuch bhi".. and he replied.. yeah that's exactly what I said, make "kuch bhi".. and so originated this "Kuch Bhi" chicken curry !! Threw in literally whatever ingredients I saw or laid my hands upon and trust me it turned out real delicious.. !!
My weird ingredients:
Chicken: 250 gm (now this is requirement no. 1 right)
Yoghurt: 1/2 cup (or more or less.. this is kuch bhi chicken, remember?)
Salt to taste (please pay caution here)
Kasoori methi: only 1 tsp. (more will make it bitter so.. )
Amchoor: 1/4 tsp. (more in case you want it very sour)
Pao bhaji masala: 1 tsp. (yes you read it right !!)
Black pepper 1/2 tsp. (add how much you wish but balance out on other spices)
Lemon juice: 2 tsp. (or more/less)
Cooking oil: 2/3/4/5 tsp. (how much you wish, whichever oil you wish)
Asafoetida: I added a pinch (but you can add more, about 1/4 tsp.)
Onion seeds: 1/2 tsp. (more/less ?? )
Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 tsp (please pay caution here, otherwise it will be a bitter kuch bhi chicken)
Cinnamon sticks: 1 inch (guess this would be enough)
Bay leaf: Just one will do !
Ginger-garlic : 3 tsp. (Three options: a) ginger-garlic paste b) grated c) crushed)
Dried red chilli: 1 (or more if hot curry is required)
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp. (not more !)
Onion: 1 (chopped/ sliced/ crushed: #yourchoice )
Tomato: 2 (chopped/pureed #againyourchoice)
Mint powder: 1/2 tsp. (or mint leaves)
Green chilli (chopped): 1 (or as many as you like)
Desiccated coconut: 2 tsp.
Coriander powder: 1 tsp. (or coriander leaves)
This is exactly how I did it:
- Marinated the chicken in some of the random ingredients: yogurt, salt, kasoori methi, amchoor, pao bhaji masala, black pepper, lemon juice. Kept it aside while I collected more random ingredients to be added to my chicken.
- Heated oil and looked at what can be added first. Added asafoetida, onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon and bay leaves (and I added all this in random order).
- While this was spluttering, I put chopped ginger, garlic dried red chilli and mustard seeds to my mortal-pestle and crushed them all together. Then decided to add this to the pan.
- Decided to chop onions and added to the pan and let everything brown a little, but I remembered the flame to be medium all the time.
- I was left with few ingredients so threw in tomatoes, mint powder and green chilli. Sprinkled a little salt and waited to see what dish was about to unfold in a while.
- When the tomatoes began to soften, I added the chicken, coconut and coriander powder. Mixed everything and added a cup of water. Covered for about 15 minutes.
- Removed cover and turned off the flame. Served to my favorite specimen in the laboratory: meaning served to hubby dearest, little fear, little hope. And he tasted and said: Wah Taj !!
Kuch Bhi Chicken is a hit and in demand again !! Yayyyyy !!!