There are so many types of chicken I have been preparing in the past year but this one is special. It is because today I have prepared this royal dish for a royal gem of a person, a queen in my eyes who has inspired me and my life in many different ways. Even though we have never met physically, but meeting her in a virtual world of social networking has had a great impact on me.
Shalini Ramachandran, on the ocassion of your birthday I present you this heavenly "Shahjahani Chicken".. you deserve this throne of royalty and even though it is impossible to parcel this to where you are, miles away.. but I promise to prepare this for you the day we (hopefully) meet.
To you Shalini !!! Happy Birthday !!!
Chicken: 250 gm
Ginger (chopped): 1 inch
Garlic (chopped): 3 cloves
Almonds: a few
Cashew nuts: a few
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp.
Green Cardamom: 2
Black cardamom: 1
Cinnamon stick: 1 inch
Cooking oil: 4 tsp.
Bay leaf: 1
Onion (chopped): 1
Cumin powder: 1/2 tsp.
Coriander powder: 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp.
Yogurt: 1/2 cup
Cream: 3 tsp.
Garam masala: 1 tsp.
- Sprinkle salt and red chilli on the washed and cleaned chicken and keep aside.
- Grind the ginger, garlic, cashews and almonds in a grinder to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Crush together the dry spices: cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom and cinnamon in a mortal-pestle and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and partially fry the chicken on both sides for about 5 minutes and keep aside.
- Heat the same pan and add the bay leaf and crushed spice powder made in step 3. Add the chopped onions and fry until they turn transparent.
- Add the paste prepared in step 2 and mix well. Add the dry spices: red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well and add the yogurt and stir.
- Add the chicken and little water. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and add the cream and sprinkle garam masala. Mix everything well and turn off the flame after 3-4 minutes.
- Cover again and let sit for about 15 minutes. Open and serve hot !!
Recipe inspired from: http://www.fabfriday.com/2014/05/shahjahani-chicken.html