Fish: 200 gm (I used salmon fish)
Cooking oil: 3 tsp.
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Curry leaves: a few
Ginger- garlic paste: 2 tsp.
Green chilli (chopped): 1
Cinnamon stick: 1/2 inch
Onions (sliced): 1
Tomato (chopped): 2
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp.
Black pepper powder: 1/4 tsp.
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp.
Thin coconut milk: 4 tsp.
Thick coconut milk: 2 tsp.
- Wash and cube the fish and sprinkle salt, a bit of turmeric and black pepper powder and mix well. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame and fry the fish from both sides for 5 minutes and remove and keep aside.
- Heat the same oil and crackle mustard seeds and then add curry leaves. I do add dried red chilli too because I love it, but the recipe does not require it.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell goes away. Add the green chilli and fry for a bit.
- Add the whole spices: cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon. Add onions and cook until they start browning.
- Add the tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy. Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder and thin coconut milk. Mix well and add a cup of water after a minute. Mix and cover, let cook on medium flame for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, add the thick coconut milk and the fried fish. Mix and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from flame and serve hot with jeera rice !!