This is a versatile recipe of Punjabi tomato fry which can be used as a base for any vegetable or can be eaten as it is with chappati or rice. This fry can also be freezed as a base masala and can be used whenever required. It stays good for upto a month.
Cooking oil: 2 tsp.
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Onion (chopped): 1
Garlic (grated): 2 cloves
Ginger (grated): 1/2 inch
Green chilli (chopped):1
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder to taste
Turmeric: 1/4 tsp.
Garam masala (optional): 1/4 tsp.
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat oil and splutter the cumin seeds. Add onion and fry until transparent.
- Add the ginger- garlic and fry well. You can also use ginger-garlic paste in place of grated ginger and garlic if making in large quantities.
- Add the tomatoes and green chilli. Add salt and let cook until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add red chilli and turmeric, mix well and sprinkle a bit of water. DO NOT add any water if preparing it for freezing purpose. Mix and let cook for another minute.
- Add garam masala, mix and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve as a side dish.
- If freezing, let cool completely and transfer to freezing containers or ziplocks. Freeze enough quantity for one time use in one box or ziplock so you heat up only the portion you eat at once.