Wheat flour: 2 cups for making 4 parathas
Water to knead
Gram flour: 1/4 cup
Yoghurt: 3 tsp.
Cooking oil: 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Spinach leaves: 2 cups
Green chilli (finely chopped): 1
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder
(All spices according to taste)
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and crackle the cumin seeds. Add very finely chopped spinach to the pan and let it cook on medium flame for about 2 minutes. The leaves will start to wilt. Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Take the flour in a bowl and add everything: gram flour, grated carrots, green chilli, yoghurt, salt, red chilli, mango powder and garam masala. Also add the cooked spinach. Mix everything well.
- Now make a dough by adding very little water at a time and form it into a solid dough. We will make parathas immediately as salt is added to the dough which will make the dough sticky if kept for sometime.
- Pinch out small balls from the dough and roll carefully using a little dusting from the dried wheat flour.
- Heat the griddle/tawa on highest temperature and carefully put the rolled out paratha on the tawa.
- Turn after 20 seconds. Let cook completely from both sides. Ideally it is cooked evenly,just past the stage of not remaining uncooked, but we prefer a little bit burnt flavour in the same, adds to the taste (just as you could see in the pictures). This comes with experience, you might not want to burn it much, as it will spoil the entire taste. So cook it just until past the uncooked stage.
- Now fry both sides with butter and take out on a plate. Add a dollop of butter and serve hot with any pickle or coriander-mint chutney.
Post a Comment