Daal-Bhaat is the national dish of Nepal. This is the Dal which is eaten with bhaat, meaning plain boiled rice. Masoor Dal is used in this recipe without the use of garlic, ginger, tomatoes. It came as a surprise to me if that would actually suit my Punjabi taste buds.. but it well did !! So sharing this recipe in here.
Masoor Dal (Red split lentils): 1 cup
Onion (chopped): 1
Cooking oil: 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp.
Whole red chilli: 2
Coriander seeds: 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
Green cardamom: 2
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Black peppercorns: 1/2 tsp.
- Grind all the whole spices: Red chillis, cumin, cardamom, cloves, coriander, cinnamon and peppercorns to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Wash and boil the dal with salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Fry until they become transparent.
- Add the ground spice powder and mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Add the boiled dal and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot with plain rice/jeera rice. We had it with plain chappati. If having with chappati, reduce the whole spices proportions a bit.