Urad Dal is one of my personal favourites since childhood.. reason being? The quickest dish you can think of.. to pair with chappati. Whenever I used to be very hungry, mom used to prepare this in less than 10 minutes; so I had always known this in one dal I can eat if I want to eat something, like right now. And it still is my favourite; because, well, I too prepare it within 10 minutes; one pot-cooking, easy, easy basic ingredients required.... So many benefits.. right? Ha! That's why I love this dal !!
Urad dal: 1 cup
Onion (chopped): 1
Garlic (chopped): 3 cloves
Ginger (chopped): 1 inch
Tomato (chopped): 1
Green chilli (chopped): 1
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Asafoetida: 1 pinch
Salt: To taste
Red chilli: 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp.
Cooking oil: 1 tsp.
- Wash and drain urad dal and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and temper cumin seeds and add asafoetida.
- Add the onions after 10 seconds and sauté until they turn transparent. Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add ginger, tomato and green chilli. Mix well. Add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric. Mix well and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the dal and mix well. Let cook for about 2 minutes. Add a little water (1/4 cup) and mix well. Put the lid on the cooker and the pressure. Cook till 2 whistles.
- Turn off the flame and open the lid when pressure is released. Garnish with coriander leaves (optional) and serve hot with any roti/paratha.