Another whole wheat snack in a row after Champakali (Wheat), Masala Kaju, Wheat Kachori, Wheat Samosa and Whole wheat Papdi.. wonderful and healthy.. Instead of using maida (all purpose flour), I made all these snacks with the regular wheat. And this can be stored in air-tight container on the shelf, just like Champakali, Masala Kaju and Papdi. Although the shelf life reduces when made with whole wheat, but still keeps good and fresh for weeks.
I have used whole wheat flour in all these recipes. You could substitute it for half-half wheat and all purpose flour to increase the shelf life. More the all purpose flour, more the shelf life.
Sharing the easy-peasy recipe here:
Whole wheat flour: 2 cups
Salt to taste
Carom seeds: 1 tsp. (optional)
Warm water for making the dough
Oil/ghee: 2 tsp.
Oil for frying
- Mix salt and carom seeds into the flour and mix well.
- Heat up the butter a bit so it is melting and add to the flour. Mix well with fingers till it is of crumbling consistency.
- Add little warm water to the flour and mix, do not knead it like you would flour. Add water, very little at a time to gather all the flour together in a ball. Keep aside for 20 minutes covered.
- Pinch little balls from the flour and flatten it with a rolling pin. With the help of a knife, create a zig-zag pattern.
- Separate all the shapes and fry them in batches in oil on medium heat. Do not fry on very high heat.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Store in air tight container when cooled. Keeps good for weeks.